Thursday 19 July 2012

Preaching and Practice


“They bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with their finger.” Matt 23:4
“Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest… For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 11:28-30
Burden here seems not to be physical, but rather of anxieties, fear and the like including the burden of law… This becomes evident from the following saying of ‘Jesus to the crowds and his disciples: The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat; so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice.’ 23:1-3
“Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them.” 5:17
“You have heard that… But I say to you that…

No comments: